22 May 2007

Virgin Birth for Sharks?

After quite a long weekend of complete mayhem, I'm back.

Unfortunately, with not-so-great news for surfers and other people who like to dwell in the ocean.

It has now been confirmed that sharks can reproduce asexually.

I kid you not. Evidence: Captive Shark had "Virgin Birth"

After reading this article, I learned something I never knew before. Having sex actually increases the chances for genetic mutations to occur, meaning that species can adapt to their environment or develop new traits. But if animals are reproducing asexually, the chances of this happening are really rare. So while female sharks may be able to reproduce without finding a mate, it doesn't necessarily mean that our oceans will suddenly become as shark-infested as I might have first thought.

After looking into parthenogenesis (literally translates to "virgin birth" in Greek) I discovered that Japanese scientists were trying to use their experiment on parthenogenesis in mice to apply to humans.... see The End of Males?

Just thinking about the possibility of asexual reproduction among humans kind of fascinates me. I mean, sure, women can receive artificial insemination and become pregnant, but that sperm had to come from a guy. What happens when sperm becomes genetically reproduced??

No comments: