03 May 2007

The Widower

Two things.

1. According to Sudanese law, if a man is caught sleeping with a girl, he is forced to marry her to "save her honor." I'm not even going to start in on that, but interestingly enough, "girl" can also translate into "animal." Specifically...goat.

Sudan's famous goat 'wife' dies

NO JOKE. Bestiality? Debauchery doesn't even BEGIN to describe bestiality. Try to wrap your mind around the concept of sleeping with, and then "marrying" a farm animal. Get back to me if you can list any positive consequences of this unholy union.


2. When I was trying to figure out what to name this post, I typed "The Goat Widow" but realized that didn't seem right. A widow is a female who loses her husband, and in this case it was the other way around. What was a male widow called? I wondered. Hmm. APPARENTLY, "widower". Makes no sense to me. Can someone explain how the extra two letters makes it a male noun? Wouldn't "widower" refer to the person who is dying, thus creating a widow??

I'm lost.

No comments: